- Global hotel operator Hilton has announced plans to open a 332-key beachfront resort in Monastir in Tunisia.
- The agreement with Societe Marhaba Beach is slated to open in two years.
- Investment may signal as a vote of confidence in Tunisian Security Forces.
Want to receive the latest Security UPDATES on Tunisia? Then SUBSCRIBE. No junk emails, only actionable security INSIGHTS!
- An industry leader such as Hilton investing in Tunisia in light of the 2015 Sousse beach attack where a gunman killed dozens of people, mostly tourists, on a beach in the Tunisian resort of Sousse.
- Continued security & social economic challenges throughout the country.
It’s been more than four years since the Sousse Beach attack and Tunisia has grown a lot in terms of security readiness. This was highlighted in October of this year (2020) when US Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper and Tunisian Defense Minister Ibrahim Bartagi agreed on a road map for defense cooperation.
Secretary Esper said he was: “Impressed by the Tunisians’ efforts to enhance their capabilities against terrorists, but also to promote stability and security on the African continent.”
However, persistent challenges, worsened by the ongoing pandemic, continues to block economic progress which explains the recent uptick in protests throughout the country.
A Vote of Confidence…
Hilton’s investment may appear for other investors as a vote of confidence of the progress made by Tunisian Security Forces since the 2016 attack and potential of the North African tourism sector.
At least that’s what Hichem Driss, owner of Societe Marhaba Beach, thinks as noted by his statement: “We are delighted to form a partnership with Hilton to open a premier resort – part of the Palm Lake Monastir development – a new investment in Skanes that will feature retail, entertainment and residential. We are proud to bring Hilton’s renowned hospitality to the Tunisian coast, which will further enhance the tourism offering and international appeal of the destination.”
The facilities, slated to open in 2022-23 will include eight F&B venues, including a food truck, two swimming pools, a spa and wellness center, a fitness center, tennis courts and kid’s club.
We will continue to monitor the security situation in Tunisia and provide more security updates & insights.
Follow our Tunisia Security Facebook Page for all the latest news updates!
Leave a Reply