Recently Stratford published a very informative article entitled “Tunisia After the Arab Spring”. The article contains several key assessments which gives us a good idea about the challenges that Tunisia may experience.
Here are the points that I highlighted while reading the article:
- Militant activity & public unrest will remain the biggest challenges to Tunisia’s upcoming permanent government (national elections expected before 2015).
- 3 plus years without a permanent government + slow economic progress means we are likely to see more protests, unrest, and clashes with police.
- Overall the risk of social unrest should remain manageable.
- (Wildcard): Libya’s continuing destabilization will affect Tunisia security
- Cooperation with the United States & Algeria will work to counter the developing situation in Libya.
- However, the occasional militant attack whether attempted or successful will become part of Tunisia’s post Arab Spring reality.
Informed & Engaged
Overall it seems like Tunisia is moving in a positive direction but there are many challenges ahead. As expats our best friends remain information & community. Let’s continue to network & share information.
Leave a Reply