TS Update-(Personal Security Review)
I wanted to share a security update with you as the level of activity is picking back up. I recently had a conversation with one of my favorite local contacts. This man is calm, confident, and always on point with his analysis. He said “we’ll have some challenges ahead…inshallah lebes”
As soon as he said those words I offered him a seat and a warm cup of coffee. For the next 30 minutes he explained the possible risks ahead and his personal security forecast.
The stormy forecast comes from (3) main factors:
1. UGTT announcement: “We have decided to activate all forms of peaceful civilian protest in all sectors,” added the powerful union confederation, which boasts some 500,000 members and is capable of bringing the country to a standstill.
2. Political breakdown: Ennahda had initially accepted that it would step down under the proposal but has resisted pressure it resign immediately and has expressed reservations that it said would need to be discussed during the planned negotiations.
As Expats we have to be proactive about our security posture. Considering the challenges in Tunisia, we have been very fortunate over the last few months in terms of stability.
Now is a great time to review your security setup and ensure you have the following pieces in order:
- Information flow: You are tuned into what’s going on…Electronic & Community based…(if you are reading this article chances are that you are well-informed)
- Admin check: Review your embassy’s website. Make sure you are properly registered with your embassy (list of foreign embassies in Tunisia).
- Personal Security (Situational Awareness): Remember to vary your routes…change your routines…and connect with your community (expats & locals).
Feel free to email me for a detailed personal security checklist: